Missouri State University
Missouri State University > CNAS > Department of Geography, Geology, and Planning (GGP) > Evans

Earth Science Education and
Public Outreach

As Earth Science Education Coordinator for Missouri State University's Department of Geography, Geology, and Planning, I help to promote the department's goals and programs in general and secondary school science education. It is important to involve in-service science teachers at all levels to develop networks for the aspiring teachers.

Field trips to the Weaubleau structure have given students at Missouri State's Greenwood Laboratory School, Weaubleau Middle School, Hermitage Middle School, and Warrensburg High School a greater understanding of the complexity of Earth's history and its dynamic processes. Students with the Gifted Association of Missouri attended a weekend conference in February 2005, where I gave a presentation on asteroids and impacts. Teachers and students alike have been really enthusiastic.

Public outreach has included two talks and a field trip with members of the St. Clair County Historical Society, and talks for other civic groups and clubs, including Ozarks Mensa, the Mid-States Regional Astronomical League, and Ozarks Astromomy Club. As a scientist, I have an obligation to help educate the next generation of prospective scientists and my cohorts on the risks and resources that Earth and space presents. If you have a civic group that would be interested in hearing about meteorite impacts in Missouri, Earth Science, Antarctic or other adventures, please contact me.

To find out more about the Earth Science Education Program at Missouri State University (BSEd, certifiable for grades 9-12), visit our web site or request a brochure via email.

image of quarry from above showing many students exploring rocks

Fifth grade students from Missouri State University's Greenwood Laboratory School and Eighth grade students from Weaubleau participated in a joint field trip to the Weaubleau impact structure in October 2003.

Email: kevinevans@missouristate.edu

Page maintained by Kevin Evans
Last updated: January 4, 2007

Copyright © 2007 Board of Governors,
Missouri State University

image of students participating in field trip to weaubleau impact structure

Greenwood Laboratory School 5th Graders in a quarry

A R T I C L E S

Smithsonian Air & Space Magazine

KSMU Interview (RealPlayer required)
Get the latest version of RealPlayer here   

I N F O R M A T I O N

Evans' Home Page

Impact Structure Research

Stratigraphy Research

Publications

Professional Affiliations

Evans' Courses

Web Resources

Blackboard Users

P R O G R A M S

Earth Science Education Program (BSEd)

Geology Program (BS)

Geospatial Science Program (MS)

L I N K S

Geography, Geology, & Planning

College of Natural & Applied Sciences

Visit Missouri State University