Missouri State University
Missouri State University > CNAS > Department of Geography, Geology, and Planning (GGP) > Evans

Stratigraphic Research

Stratigraphy is the study of layered sedimentary rocks and the processes by which they formed.

My interest in stratigraphy stretches back to my undergraduate studies but flourished in graduate school at the University of Kansas. My principal focus has been the interpretation of ancient sea-level changes and the application of new techniques in stratigraphic studies. The technological aspects refers to the use of a gamma-ray spectrometer for measuring the natural radioactivity of sedimentary rocks in stratigraphic successions and spectral analysis of logs and outcrop profiles as they pertain to study the cyclic successions.

Principal areas of interest include Upper Cambrian and Lower Ordovician carbonate strata in the Great Basin of western Utah and eastern Nevada and upper Paleozoic succession of southwestern Missouri.

Only recently have these interests been augmented by studies of ancient meteorite impacts. Available evidence suggests that the Weaubleau structure resulted from a impact on a shallow marine carbonate platform. Other studies concern the geomorphic expression of paleovalleys across western Missouri, and the tectonic evolution of the Ozark Uplift.

Three graduate students are working on projects associated with these studies:

Mayuri Bhattacharyya is working on the age and origin of the Eldorado and associated paleovalleys in western Missouri. Mayuri will be presenting a poster of preliminary results at the 2007 South-Cenbtral/North-Central Joint Meeting in Lawrence, Kansas, April 11-13, 2007.

Melissa Cox is mapping the geology of the Vista, Missouri 7.5' Quadrangle, which is associated with the central uplift of the Weaubleau structure. She is nearing completion of the thesis. Melissa has presented talks and posters at international, national, regional, and local geological meetings over the last year and a half.

Dulce Cruz is working on the stratigraphic expression and regional significance of the sub-Mississippian unconformity in southwestern Missouri. Dulce will be documenting the unconformable stratigraphic field relationships between lowermost Mississippian (Kinderhookian) and subjacent strata.

Email: kevinevans@missouristate.edu

Page maintained by Kevin Evans
Last updated: January 4, 2007

Copyright © 2007 Board of Governors,
Missouri State University

image of the drum mountains in western utah

I N F O R M A T I O N

Evans' Home Page

Impact Structure Research

Publications

Professional Affiliations

Education & Outreach

Evans' Courses

Web Resources

Blackboard Users

P R O G R A M S

Earth Science Education Program (BSEd)

Geology Program (BS)

Geospatial Science Program (MS)

L I N K S

Geography, Geology, & Planning

College of Natural & Applied Sciences

Visit Missouri State University