"Q" according to Luke's Wording

The Gospels of Matthew and Luke have many many passages that are nearly word for word the same.  While one might immediately think that one author copied from the other, there are serious problems with this idea.  Instead, a majority of New Testament scholars believe that the writers of these Gospels each used a written source made up mostly of sayings of Jesus.  Scholars refer to this now lost source as "Q," an abbreviation of the German word Quelle, which means source.  Some scholars also like to refer to this material as the "Sayings Gospel," since it also contains some narrative features such as beginning with the appearance of John the Baptist and the baptism of Jesus.  Plausible dates for the composition of Q range from the 40s to the 60s C.E., making these materials common to Matthew and Luke some of the earliest recorded traditions about Jesus. 

Most scholars think Luke preserves more of the original order of Q but that Matthew preserves more of its original wording.  However, I have used Luke's wording here for convenience.  If you would like to see the best known scholarly hypothetical reconstruction of the version of Q used by Matthew and Luke, click here.  I have used the section headings suggested by this reconstruction.

The Introduction of John

3:2 The word of God came to John the son of Zechariah in the wilderness,

3:3 and he went into all the region about the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

John's Announcement of Judgment

3:7 He said therefore to the multitudes that came out to be baptized by him, "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

3:8 Bear fruits that befit repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, 'we have Abraham as our father'; for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham.

3:9 Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees; every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

John and the One to Come

3:16b I baptize you with water; but he who is mightier than I is coming, the thong of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

3:17 His winnowing fork is in his hand, to clear his threshing floor, and to gather the wheat into his granary, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire."

The Baptism of Jesus

3:21 Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heaven was opened,

3:22 and the Holy Spirit descended upon him . . . and a voice came from heaven, "You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased."

The Temptations of Jesus

4:1 And Jesus . . . returned from the Jordan, and was led by the Spirit

4:2 for forty days in the wilderness, tempted by the devil. And he ate nothing in those days; and when they were ended, he was hungry.

4:3 The devil said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread."

4:4 And Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone."

4:9 He took him to Jerusalem and set him on the pinnacle of the temple and said to him "If you are the Son of God throw yourself down from here;

4:10 for it is written, 'He will give his angels charge of you, to guard you,

4:11 and on their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone.'"

4:12 And Jesus answered him, "It is said, 'you shall not test the Lord your God.'"

4:5 And the devil took him up, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time,

4:6 and said to him, "To you I will give all this authority and their glory; for it has been delivered to me, and I give it to whom I will.

4:7 If you, then, will worship me, it shall all be yours."

4:8 And Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'you shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve.'"

4:13 When the devil had finished every test, he departed from him.

The Beatitudes for the Poor, Hungry, and Mourning

4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up; and he went to the synagogue, as his custom was, on the Sabbath day.

6:20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples and said: "Blessed are you poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.

6:21 Blessed are you that hunger now, for you shall be satisfied. Blessed are you that weep now, for you shall laugh.

The Beatitude for the Persecuted

6:22 Blessed are you when men hate you, and when they exclude you and revile you, and cast out your name as evil, on account of the Son of man!

6:23 Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.

Love Your Enemies

6:27 But I say to you that hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

6:28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.

Renouncing One's Own Rights

6:29 To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from him who takes away your cloak do not withhold your coat as well.

6:30 Give to every one who begs from you; and of him who takes away your goods do not ask them again.

The Golden Rule

6:31 And as you wish that people would do to you, do so to them.

Impartial Love

6:32 If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them.

6:33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.

6:34 And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much again.

6:35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the selfish.

Being Full of Pity like Your Father

6:36 Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.

Not Judging

6:37 Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven;

6:38 give and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For the measure you give will be the measure you get back.

The Blind Leading the Blind

6:39 Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit?

The Disciple and the Teacher

6:40 A disciple is not above his teacher, but every one when he is fully taught will be like his teacher.

The Speck and the Beam

6:41 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?

6:42 Or how can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother's eye.

The Tree Is Known by Its Fruit

6:43 For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit;

6:44 for each tree is known by its own fruit. For figs are not gathered from thorns, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush.

6:45 The good man out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil man out of his evil treasure produces evil; for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

Not Just Saying Master, Master

6:46 Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' [i.e., 'Master, Master'] and not do what I tell you?

Houses Built on Rock or Sand

6:47 Every one who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like:

6:48 he is like a man building a house, who dug deep, and built the foundation upon rock; and when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house, and could not shake it, because it had been well built.

6:49 But he who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation, against which the stream broke, and immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great."

The Centurion's Faith in Jesus' Word

7:1 After he had ended all his sayings in the hearing of the people he entered Capernaum.

7:2 A centurion had a slave who was dear to him who was sick and at the point of death.

7:3 When he heard of Jesus he sent to him elders of the Jews, asking him to come and heal his slave.

7:6 And Jesus went with them. When he was not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to him, saying to him, "Lord do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof;

7:7 therefore I did not presume to come to you. But say the word, and let my servant be healed.

7:8 For I am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me: and I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes; and to another, 'come,' and he comes; and to my slave, 'Do this,' and he does it."

7:9 When Jesus heard this he marveled at him, and turned and said to the multitude that followed him, "I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith."

7:10 And when those who had been sent returned to the house, they found the slave well.

John's Inquiry about the One to Come

7:18 The disciples of John told him all these things.

7:19 And John calling to him two of his disciples, sent them to the Lord, saying, "Are you he who is to come, or shall we look for another?"

7:20 And when the men had come to him, they said, "John the Baptist has sent us to you, saying, Are you he who is to come or shall we look for another?"

7:21 In that hour he cured many of diseases and plagues and evil spirits, and on many that were blind he bestowed sight.

7:22 And he answered them, "Go and tell John what you have seen and heard; the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, the poor have good news preached to them, and blessed is he who takes no offense at me."

John — More than a Prophet

7:24 When the messengers of John had gone, he began to speak to the crowds concerning John: "What did you go out into the wilderness to behold? A reed shaken by the wind?

7:25 What then did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft raiment? Behold, those who are gorgeously appareled and live in luxury are in kings' courts.

7:26 What then did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet.

7:27 This is he of whom it is written, 'Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who shall prepare your way before you.'

7:28 I tell you, among those born of women none is greater than John; yet he who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he."

For and Against John

7:29 And all the people who heard this, including the tax collectors, acknowledged the justice of God, because they had been baptized with John's baptism.

7:30 But by refusing to be baptized by him, the Pharisees and the lawyers rejected God's purpose for themselves.

This Generation and the Children of Wisdom

7:31 "To what shall I compare the men of this generation, and what are they like?

7:32 They are like children sitting in the market place and calling to one another, 'We piped to you, and you did not dance; we wailed, and you did not weep.'

7:33 For John the Baptist has come eating no bread and drinking no wine; and you say, 'He has a demon.'

7:34 The Son of man has come eating and drinking; and you say, 'Behold, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!'

7:35 Yet Wisdom is justified by all her children."

Confronting Potential Followers

9:57 As they were going along the road, a man said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go."

9:58 And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head."

9:59 To another he said, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father."

9:60 But he said to him, "Leave the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God."

9:61 Another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home." Jesus said to him, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God."

Workers for the Harvest

10:2 And he said to them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; pray therefore the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.

Sheep Among Wolves

10:3 Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs in the midst of wolves.

No Provisions

10:4 Carry no purse, no bag, no sandals; salute no one on the road.

What to Do in Houses and Towns

10:5 Whatever house you enter, first say, 'Peace be to this house!'

10:6 And if a son of peace is there, your peace shall rest upon him; but if not, it shall return to you.

10:7 And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages. Do not go from house to house.

10:8 Whenever you enter a town and they receive you, eat what is set before you;

10:9 heal the sick in it and say to them, 'The kingdom of God has come near to you.

Response to a Town's Rejection

10:10 But whenever you enter a town and they do not receive you, go into its streets and say:

10:11 'Even the dust of your town that clings to our feet, we wipe off against you; nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near.'

10:12 I tell you, it shall be more tolerable on that day for Sodom than for that town.

Woes against Galilean Towns

10:13 Woe to you, Chorazin! woe to you, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago, sitting in sackcloth and ashes.

10:14 But it shall be more tolerable in the judgment for Tyre and Sidon than for you.

10:15 And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? You shall be brought down to Hades.

Whoever Takes You in Takes Me in

10:16 He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me."

Thanksgiving that God Reveals Only to Children

10:21 In that same hour, he [rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and] said, "I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to babes; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will.

Knowing the Father through the Son

10:22 All things have been delivered to me by my Father; and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, or who the Father is except the Son and any one to whom the Son chooses to reveal him."

The Beatitude for the Eyes that See

10:23 [Then turning to his disciples he said privately,] "Blessed are the eyes which see what you see!

10:24 For I tell you that many prophets and kings desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it."

The Lord's Prayer

11:2 And he said to them, "When you pray, say, 'Father, hallowed be Your name, Your kingdom come.

11:3 Give us each day our daily bread; and forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive every one who is indebted to us; and lead us not into temptation.'

The Certainty of the Answer to Prayer

11:9 And I tell you, Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

11:10 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

11:11 What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent;

11:12 or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?

11:13 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

Refuting the Beelzebul Accusation

11:14 Now he was casting out a demon that was dumb; when the demon had gone out, the dumb man spoke, and the people marveled.

11:15 But some of them said, "He casts out demons by Beelzebub, the prince of demons";

11:16 while others, to test him, sought from him a sign from heaven.

11:17 But he, knowing their thoughts, said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and a divided household falls.

11:18 And if Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebub.

11:19 And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges.

11:20 But if it is by the finger of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

Looting a Strong Person

11:21 When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace.

11:22 But when one stronger than he attacks him and overpowers him, he takes away his armor in which he trusted and divides his plunder.

The One not with Me

11:23 Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

The Return of the Unclean Spirit

11:24 When the unclean spirit has gone out of a man, he passes through waterless places seeking rest; and finding none he says, I will return to my house from which I came.'

11:25 When he comes he finds it swept and put in order.

11:26 Then he goes and brings seven spirits more evil than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man becomes worse than the first.

The Sign of Jonah for This Generation

11:29b This generation is an evil generation; it seeks a sign, but no sign shall be given to it except the sign of Jonah.

11:30 For as Jonah became a sign to the men of Nineveh, so will the Son of man be to this generation.

Something More than Solomon and Jonah

11:31 The queen of the South will arise at the judgment with the men of this generation and condemn them; for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Solomon is here.

11:32 The men of Nineveh will arise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and behold, something greater than Jonah is here.

The Light on the Lampstand

11:33 No one after lighting a lamp puts it in a cellar or under a bushel, but on a stand, that those who enter may see the light.

The Jaundiced Eye Darkens the Body's Light

11:34 Your eye is the lamp of your body; when your eye is sound, your whole body is full of light; but when it is not sound, your body is full of darkness.

11:35 Therefore be careful lest the light in you be darkness.

11:36 If then your whole body is full of light, having no part dark, it will be wholly bright, as when a lamp with its rays gives you light.

Woes against the Pharisees

11:39b You Pharisees cleanse the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside you are full of extortion and wickedness.

11:40 You fools! Did not he who made the outside make the inside also?

11:42 But woe to you Pharisees! for you tithe mint and rue and every herb, and neglect justice and the love of God; these you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.

11:43 Woe to you Pharisees! for you love the best seat in the synagogues and salutations in the Market places.

Woes against the Exegetes of the Law

11:46b Woe to you lawyers also! for you load men with burdens hard to bear, and you yourselves do not touch the burdens with one of your fingers.

11:47 Woe to you! for you build the tombs of the prophets whom your fathers killed.

11:48 So you are witnesses and consent to the deeds of your fathers; for they killed them, and you build their tombs.

Wisdom’s Judgment on This Generation

11:49 Therefore also the Wisdom of God said, 'I will send them prophets and apostles, some of whom they will kill and persecute,

11:50 that the blood of all the prophets, shed from the foundation of the world may be required of this generation,

11:51 from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who perished between the altar and the sanctuary.' Yes, I tell you, it shall be required of this generation.

11:52 Woe to you lawyers! for you have taken away the key of knowledge; you did not enter yourselves and you hindered those who were entering.

12:2 Nothing is covered up that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known.

Proclaiming What Was Whispered

12:3 Whatever you have said in the dark shall be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in private rooms shall be proclaimed upon the housetops.

Not Fearing the Body’s Death

12:4 I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.

12:5 But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I tell you fear him!

More Precious than Many Sparrows

12:6 Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God.

12:7 Why even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Confessing or Denying

12:8 And I tell you, every one who acknowledges me before men, the Son of man also will acknowledge before the angels of God;

12:9 but he who denies me before men will be denied before the angels of God.

Speaking against the Holy Spirit

12:10 And every one who speaks a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

Hearings before Synagogues

12:11 And when they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not be anxious how or what you are to answer or what you are to say;

12:12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.

Free from Anxiety like Ravens and Lilies

12:22b Therefore do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat nor about your body, what you shall put on.

12:23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing.

12:24 Consider the ravens, they neither sow nor reap. they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!

12:25 And which of you by being anxious can add a cubit to his span of life?

12:26 If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest?

12:27 Consider the lilies, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

12:28 But if God so clothes the grass which is alive in the field today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O men of little faith!

12:29 And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be of anxious mind.

12:30 For all the peoples of the world seek these things; and your Father knows that you need them. Instead seek his kingdom, and these things shall be yours as well.

Storing up Treasures in Heaven

12:33 Sell your possessions, and give alms; provide your selves with purses that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.

12:34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

The Son of [Man] Comes as a Robber

12:39b If the householder had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would have been awake and would not have let his house to be broken into.

12:40 You also must be ready; for the Son of man is coming at an hour you do not expect.

The Faithful or Unfaithful Slave

12:42b Who then is the faithful and wise steward, whom his master will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the proper time?

12:43 Blessed is that servant whom his master when he comes will find so doing.

12:44 Truly I tell you, he will set him over all his possessions.

12:45 But if that servant says to himself, 'My master is delayed in coming,' and begins to beat the menservants and the maidservants, and to eat and drink and get drunk,

12:46 the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will punish him, and put him with the unfaithful.

Children against Parents

12:51 Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division;

12:52 for henceforth in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three;

12:53 they will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against her mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.

Judging the Time

12:54b When you see a cloud rising in the west, you immediately say, 'It is going to rain'; and so it happens.

12:55 And when you see the south wind blowing, you say, 'There will be scorching heat'; and it happens.

12:56 You hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of earth and sky, but why do you not know how to interpret the present time?

12:57 And why do you not judge for yourselves what is right?

Settling out of Court

12:58 As you go with your accuser before the magistrate, make an effort to settle with him on the way, lest he drag you to the judge, and the judge hand you over to the officer, and the officer put you in prison.

12:59 I tell you, you will never get out till you have paid the very last copper.

The Parable of the Mustard Seed

13:18b What is the kingdom of God like? And to what should I compare it?

13:19 It is like a mustard seed that someone took and sowed in the garden; it grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air made nests in its branches."

The Parable of the Yeast

13:20 And again he said, "To what shall I compare the kingdom of God? It is like leaven which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till it was all leavened.

I Do Not Know You

13:24 Strive to enter by the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.

13:25 When once the householder has risen up and shut the door, you will begin to stand outside and to knock at the door, saying, 'Lord, open to us.' He will answer you, 'I do not know where you come from,'

13:26 Then you will begin to say, we ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets.'

13:27 But he will say, 'I tell you, I do not know where you come from; depart from me, all you workers of iniquity!'

13:28 There you will weep and gnash your teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God and you yourselves thrust out.

Replaced by People from East and West

13:29 Men will come from east and west, and from north and south, and sit at table in the kingdom of God.

The Reversal of the Last and the First

13:30 Indeed, some are last who will be first, and some are first who will be last.

Judgment over Jerusalem

13:34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, killing the prophets and stoning those who are sent to you! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not!

13:35 Behold, your house is forsaken. I tell you, you will not see me until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!'

The Exalted Humbled and the Humble Exalted

14:11 For all who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

The Parable of the Invited Dinner Guests

14:16 A man once gave a great banquet, and invited many;

14:17 and at the time of the banquet he sent his servant to say to those who had been invited, 'Come for all is now ready.'

14:18a But they all alike began to make excuses.

14:21 So the servant came and reported this to his master. Then the householder in anger said to his servant, Go out quickly to the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor and maimed and blind and lame,'

14:23 And the master said to the servant, 'Go out to the highways and hedges, and compel people to come in, that my house may be filled.

Hating One’s Family

14:26 If any one comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.

Taking One’s Cross

14:27 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Insipid Salt

14:34 Salt is good; but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored?

14:35 It is fit neither for the land nor for the dunghill; men throw it away. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

The Lost Sheep

15:4 What man among you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost, until he finds it?

15:5 And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing.

15:6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost.'

15;7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

The Lost Coin

15:8 Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and seek diligently until she finds it?

15:9 And when she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin which I had lost.'

15:10 Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.

God or Mammon [i.e. Wealth]

16:13 No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

Since John the Kingdom of God

16:16 The law and the prophets were until John; since then the good news of the kingdom of God is preached, and every one is urged to enter it.

No Serif of the Law to Fall

16:17 But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away, than for one dot of the law to become void.

Divorce Leading to Adultery

16:18 Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and whoever marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.

Against Enticing Little Ones

17:1b Temptations to sin are sure to come; but woe to him by whom they come!

Forgiving a Sinning Brother Repeatedly

17:3b If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him;

17:4 and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, and says, 'I repent,' you must forgive him."

Faith Like a Mustard Seed

17:5 The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!"

17:6 And the Lord said, "If you had faith as a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, 'Be rooted up, and be planted in the sea,' and it would obey you."

The Kingdom of God within You

17:20 Once Jesus was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God was coming, and he answered, "The kingdom of God is not coming with things that can be observed;

17:21 nor will they say, 'Look, here it is!' or 'There it is!' For, in fact, the kingdom of God is among you.

The Son of [Man] Like Lightning

17:23 And they will say to you, 'Lo, there!' or 'Lo, here!' Do not go, do not follow them.

17:24 For as the lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of man be in his day.

17:25 But first he must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation.

As in the Days of Noah

17:26 As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be in the days of the Son of man.

17:27 They ate, they drank, they married, they were given in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all.

17:28 Likewise as it was in the days of Lot – they ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built,

17:29 but on the day when Lot went out from Sodom fire and sulfur rained from heaven and destroyed them all –

17:30 so will it be on the day when the Son of man is revealed.

17:31 On that day, let him who is on the housetop, with his goods in the house, not come down to take them away; and likewise let him who is in the field not turn back.

17:32 Remember Lot's wife.

Losing One’s Life

17:33 Whoever seeks to gain his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life will preserve it.

One Taken, One Left

17:34 I tell you, in that night there will be two in one bed; one will be taken and the other left.

17:35 There will be two women grinding together; one will be taken and the other left."

Vultures around a Corpse

17:36 And they said to him, "Where, Lord?" He said to them, "Where the body is, there the [vultures] will be gathered together."

The Parable of the Entrusted Money

19:12 He said therefore, "A nobleman went into a far country to receive kingly power and then return.

19:13 Calling ten of his servants, he gave them ten pounds, and said to them, 'Trade with these till I come.'

19:15 When he returned, having received the kingly power, he commanded these servants to whom he had given the money, to be called to him, that he might know what they had gained by trading.

19:16 The first came before him saying 'Lord, your pound has made ten pounds more.'

19:17 And he said to him, 'Well done, good servant! Because you have been faithful in a very little, you shall have authority over ten cities.'

19:18 And the second came, saying, 'Lord, your pound has made five pounds,'

19:19 And he said to him; 'And you are to be over five cities.'

19:20 Then another came, saying, 'Lord here is your pound, which I kept laid away in a napkin;

19:21 for I was afraid of you, because you are a severe man; you take up what you did not lay down, and reap what you did not sow.'

19:22 He said to him, 'I will condemn you out of your own mouth, you wicked servant! You knew that I was a severe man, taking up what I did not lay down and reaping what I did not sow?

19:23 Why then did you not put my money into the bank, and at my coming I should have collected it with interest?'

19:24 And he said to those who stood by, 'Take the pound from him, and give it to him who has ten pounds.'

19:25 And they said to him, 'Lord, he has ten pounds!'

19:26 I tell you, that to every one who has more will be given; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away.

You Will Judge the Twelve Tribes of Israel

22:28 You are those who have continued with me in my trials;

22:29 and I assign to you, as my Father assigned to me, a kingdom,

22:30 that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel."