The Rhetorical Purposes of Luke and Paul

REL 321
Dr. Mark D. Given

Attempts to coordinate Paul's autobiographical sketch in Gal 1-2 with Acts present some difficult problems The most popular theory from the early centuries to the present assumes that Paul omitted the famine relief visit to Jerusalem in Acts 11, resulting in Gal 2:1-10 and Acts 15 being two accounts of the same Jerusalem conference.  This is the "traditional" solution.  In the twentieth century, an alternative theory gained some support.  It argues that Paul did not omit any visits to Jerusalem in Gal 1-2 so that Gal 2:1-10 actually equates with the famine visit of Acts 11.  Most scholars have not found this convincing, so this assignment is based on the traditional solution.

The main point of this exercise is to learn to think rhetorically.  While it is quite possible that some of the differences between Acts and Paul's accounts of events are caused by the author of Acts having inadequate information and Paul having a poor memory, it is also possible that some of the differences are the product of both authors trying to tell the story in a way that best supports their own persuasive purposes.  According to Quintilian, a first century teacher of rhetoric, an effective persuader is good at judging "what should be said, what concealed, what avoided, altered or even faked" in order to make his case.  See if you can find evidence that the author of Acts and Paul may be practicing this fundamental rhetorical judgment as you answer the questions below. 

Of course, to be able to detect rhetorical aspects of Acts and Paul, you need some basic background about the likely purposes of Acts and Paul's letter to the Galatians.  Taylor has already introduced you to some basic purposes of the author of Acts and some of the historical and interpretive issues.  For the purposes of both Acts and Galatians, you should read the introductions to those books in your Study Bible.  If you'd like to have more information on Luke-Acts, this chapter from an classic NT Intro textbook might be helpful: Grant, "The Gospel of Luke and the Book of Acts,"

Before you begin to write, print out this assignment and read through the parallels several times slowly, reflecting on them.  As you read, see if you can anticipate some of the issues of interpretation on your own.  The information in the first two parallels below, "Paul's Former Life" and "Paul's Conversion/Call," harmonizes fairly well, although we have no way of gauging the accuracy of Luke's full narration of Paul's encounter with the risen Christ.  But after this, the differences get more intriguing.  For your paper, respond to each of the following items:

I. Paul's First Trip

A. Acts and Paul's accounts of Paul's first post-conversion trip to Jerusalem (Acts 9:23-30; Gal 1:18-24) have some striking differences from one another.  What are they?

B. Assuming that Acts is mostly accurate, what rhetorical reasons can you give for why Paul might be telling this story differently in Galatians?

C. Assuming instead that Paul is mostly accurate, what rhetorical reasons can you give for why Acts might be telling this story differently from Paul.

II. Paul's Second Trip

A. Can you think of any possible rhetorical reasons Paul would leave out the trip to Jerusalem recounted in Acts 11:27ff. in Galatians?

B. What are Acts' possible rhetorical reasons for including it?

III. Paul's Third Trip

A. Now look closely at the details of the Jerusalem debate, Paul's Third Trip to Jerusalem.  What are the differences in who is involved in these proceedings?  Are these differences significant?  Why or why not?

B. Assuming that Acts is mostly accurate, what do you make of the differences in Paul's account?  What are some major details he does not tell his readers in Galatia?  Can you think of any rhetorical benefits of the way he recounts the event?

C. Assuming that the author of Acts knew Paul and had heard him tell about the Jerusalem debate in a similar fashion to what we find in Galatians, can you think of any rhetorical reasons he might have for telling the story differently?  Paul is Acts' hero and this is a defining moment in Paul's apostolic career.  What do you make of the fact the author does not choose to recount Paul's speech on this auspicious occasion?

IV. The Antioch Incident

A. Can you think of any rhetorical reasons Acts would have left out the "Antioch Incident" recounted in Galatians 2:11-21?

B. What are Paul's possible rhetorical reasons for including it?

V. Inconsistent Apostles?

A. Note carefully Paul's remarks about circumcision and Jewish law observance more generally in Gal 2:3-5 and 15-21.  Are there actions of Paul anywhere in the whole Acts column that seem inconsistent in light of these remarks?  Could they undermine his rhetoric in Galatians?  How do you explain these actions?

B. What do you make of Cephas/Peter based on all the passages included here? Are his actions consistent?

VI. Conclusion

Write a final paragraph or two stating your conclusions about the rhetorical purposes of Acts and Paul.

Your paper should be four pages, typed double-spaced in standard Times New Roman 12 pt. font. Boil down your arguments and state them concisely.  Use correct biblical reference style as modeled throughout the textbook.  The Writing Tips document under Assignments also has instructions for doing scripture references.

Note Well: Peter, Cephas, and Simeon are all the same person.

Acts

(Date of composition of Acts is ca. 62 C.E. at the earliest; much more likely post-70 C.E.)

Galatians

(Date of composition of Galatians according to this theory is ca. 51-55 C.E., after the Jerusalem Conference)

Paul's Curse on All who Preach Another Gospel (1:6-12)

6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel-- 7 not that there is another gospel, but there are some who are confusing you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should proclaim to you a gospel contrary to what we proclaimed to you, let that one be accursed! 9 As we have said before, so now I repeat, if anyone proclaims to you a gospel contrary to what you received, let that one be accursed! 10 Am I now seeking human approval, or God's approval? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still pleasing people, I would not be a servant of Christ. 11 For I would have you know brothers, that the good news which was proclaimed by me is not of human origin. 12 For I did not receive it from a man, nor was I taught it, but it came through a revelation from Jesus Christ.

Paul's Former Life

8:1 And Saul approved of their killing [Stephen]. That day a severe persecution began against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout the countryside of Judea and Samaria. 2 Devout men buried Stephen and made loud lamentation over him.
9:1 Meanwhile Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest 2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any who belonged to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.

Paul's Former Life

1:13 For you have heard of my former life in Judeanism [lit. Judaism], how I persecuted the assembly of God violently and tried to destroy it; 14 and I advanced in Judeanism beyond many of my own age among my people, so extremely zealous was I for the traditions of my fathers. 

Paul's Conversion/Call (ca. 36 C.E.)

Cf. 9:1-22

[There is no mention of Arabia in Acts]

Paul's Conversion/Call (ca. 36 C.E.)

15 But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and had called me through his kindness, 16 was pleased to reveal his Son in me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not confer with flesh and blood, 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but I went away into Arabia; and again I returned to Damascus.

Paul's First Trip to Jerusalem

9:23 When many days had passed,

the Judeans [of Damascus] plotted to kill him, 24 but their plot became known to Saul. They were watching the gates day and night, to kill him; 25 but his disciples took him by night and let him down over the wall, lowering him in a basket.26 And when he had come to Jerusalem he attempted to join the disciples; and they were all afraid of him, for they did not believe that he was a disciple.

27 But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared to them how on the road he had seen the Lord, who spoke to him, and how at Damascus he had preached boldly in the name of Jesus. 28 So he went in and out among them at Jerusalem [cf. "at Jerusalem, and throughout the whole country of Judea" (26:20)], 29 preaching boldly in the name of the Lord. And he spoke and disputed against the Hellenists; but they were seeking to kill him. 30 And when the brothers knew it, they brought him down to Caesarea [in Judea but near the Syrian border], and sent him off to Tarsus [in Cilicia].

Cf. 9:28

Paul's First Trip to Jerusalem

18 Then after three years

[cf. Acts 9:23-25 with 2 Cor 11:32-33]

I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas, and remained with him fifteen days. 19 But I saw none of the other apostles except James the Lord's brother. 20 (In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie!)

21 Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia.

22 And I was still not known by sight to the churches of Christ in Judea; 23 they only heard it said, "He who once persecuted us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy." 24 And they glorified God because of me.

Peter and Cornelius (10:1-11:18)

10:27 And as [Peter] talked with [Cornelius], he went in and found many persons gathered; 28 and he said to them, "You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a Jew to associate with or to visit any one of another nation; but God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean . . ."

34 And Peter opened his mouth and said: "Truly I perceive that God shows no partiality, 35 but in every nation any one who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him . . ."

11:1 Now the apostles and the brethren who were in Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God. 2 So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcision party criticized him, 3 saying, "Why did you go to uncircumcised men and eat with them?" 4 But Peter began and explained to them in order . . .

17 ". . . If then God gave the same gift to them as he gave to us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could withstand God?" 18 When they heard this they were silenced. And they glorified God, saying, "Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance unto life."

The Antioch Church (11:19-30)

19 Now those who were scattered because of the persecution that arose over Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia and Cyprus and Antioch, speaking the word to none except Judeans. 20 But there were some of them, men of Cyprus and Cyrene, who on coming to Antioch spoke to the Greeks also, preaching the Lord Jesus. 21 And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number that believed turned to the Lord. 22 News of this came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch. 23 When he came and saw the favor of God, he was glad; and he exhorted them all to remain faithful to the Lord with steadfast purpose; 24 for he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a large company was added to the Lord. 25 So Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul; 26 and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church, and taught a large company of people; and in Antioch the disciples were for the first time called Christians.

Paul's Second Trip To Jerusalem (ca. 46 C.E.)

27 Now in these days prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch. 28 And one of them named Agabus stood up and foretold by the Spirit that there would be a great famine over all the world; and this took place in the days of Claudius. 29 And the disciples determined, every one according to his ability, to send relief to the brothers who lived in Judea; 30 and they did so, sending it to the elders by the hand of Barnabas and Saul . . .

12:25 And Barnabas and Saul returned from Jerusalem when they had fulfilled their mission, bringing with them John whose other name was Mark.

[According to this theory, Paul omits this second trip to Jerusalem.]

Paul's First Missionary Journey (ca. 47-48 C.E.) with Barnabas and John Mark (13:1-14:8)

13:5 When they came into Salamis, they proclaimed the word of God in the synagogues of the Judeans . . . 14 . . . and on the Sabbath day [in Antioch of Pisidia] they went into the synagogue . . . 14:1 The same thing occurred in Iconium, where Paul and Barnabas went into the Jewish synagogue and spoke in such a way that a great number of both Judeans and Greeks became believers. 2 But the unbelieving Judeans stirred up the gentiles and poisoned their minds against the brothers. 3 So they remained for a long time speaking boldly for the Lord, who testified to the word of his grace by granting signs and wonders to be done through them. 4 But the residents of the city were divided: some sided with the Judeans, and some with the apostles. 5 And when an attempt was made by both gentiles and Judeans, with their rulers, to mistreat them and to stone them, 6 the apostles learned of it and fled to Lystra and Derbe, cities of Lycaonia, and to the surrounding region, 7 and there they continued proclaiming the good news.

Controversy in Antioch (15:1-3)

15:1 Then some people came down from Judea and were teaching the brothers, unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved. 2 And when Paul and Barnabas had no little argument and debate with them, Paul and Barnabas and some of the others were appointed to go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and the elders about this issue. 3 So, those being sent on their way by the church passed through both Phoenicia and Samaria, reporting the conversion of the Gentiles, and they brought great joy to all the brothers. 

The Revelation

2:1 Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, also taking along Titus, 2a but I went because of a revelation.

Paul's Third Trip to Jerusalem (ca. 49 C.E.)

4 When they came to Jerusalem, they were welcomed by the church and the apostles and the elders, and they reported all that God had done by them. 5 But some believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees rose up saying that it is necessary to circumcise them, and to order them to keep the law of Moses.

Cf. Gal 2:4-5

6 So the apostles and the elders were gathered together to see to this matter. 7 And after much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, men, brothers, you know that from the early days God made a choice among you that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the good news and believe. 8 And the heart-knowing God witnessed to them, giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us. 9 And he made no distinction between us and them, but cleansed their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore why do you test God by putting a yoke upon the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? 11 On the contrary, we believe that we will be saved through the kindness of the Lord Jesus in the same way as they. 12 And all the assembly became silent, and they listened to Barnabas and Paul as they explained what signs and wonders God had done among the Gentiles through them. 13 And after they became silent, James replied, men, brothers, hear me. 14 Simeon has explained how God first visited the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name. 15 And with this the words of the prophets agree, as it is written, 16 After this I will return, and I will rebuild the dwelling of David, which has fallen; I will rebuild its ruins, and I will set it up, 17 that the rest of humanity may search for the Lord, even all the Gentiles over whom my name has been called, 18 says the Lord, who has made these things known from of old. 19 Therefore I decide not to trouble those of the Gentiles who are turning to God, 20 but rather to write to them to abstain from the pollutions of idols and fornication and from what is strangled and from blood. 21 For Moses has had those in every city who preach him from early generations, being read every Sabbath in the synagogues. 22 Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church, to choose men from among them to send to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas: Judas called Barsabbas, and Silas, leading men among the brothers, 23 sending this letter by their hand. The apostles and the elders, brothers, to the brothers who are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia, greetings. 24 Since we heard that some persons from us have troubled you with words, upsetting your lives (although we gave them no orders),  25 it has seemed good to us, having reached unanimous agreement, to choose men to send to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 men who have risked their lives for the sake of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, and they will tell you the same things by word of mouth. 28 For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled and from fornication. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.

2b And I set before them the good news which I proclaim among the Gentiles (but privately to those with reputations), unless somehow I should be running or had run in vain. 3 But even Titus, who was with me, even though he was a Greek, was not required to be circumcised,  4 But because of pseudo-brothers secretly brought in, who slipped in to spy on our freedom which we have in Christ Jesus, so that they might enslave us-- 5 to them not even for an hour did we yield in submission, so that the truth of the good news might remain with you. 6 And from those who were reputed to be something (what they were makes no difference to me; God shows no partiality)--indeed to me those of reputation added nothing. 7 But rather, on the contrary, seeing that I had been entrusted with the good news to the uncircumcised, just as Peter to the circumcised-- 8 for he who worked through Peter for the mission to the circumcised also worked through me to the Gentiles-- 9 and when they perceived the gift that was given to me, James and Cephas and John, those reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised; 10 only they would have us remember the poor, which was very thing I was eager to do.

Delivery of the Letter to Antioch

30 So when they were sent off, they went down to Antioch, and having gathered the congregation together, they delivered the letter. 31 And when they read it, they rejoiced at the encouragement. 32 And Judas and Silas, who were themselves prophets, encouraged the brothers with many words and strengthened them. 33 And after they had spent some time, they were sent off in peace by the brethren to those who had sent them. 34 [Not in early manuscripts] 35 But Paul and Barnabas remained in Antioch, teaching and proclaiming the word of the Lord, with many others also.

The Antioch Incident (ca. 50 C.E.)

11 But when Cephas came to Antioch I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For until certain men came from James, he ate with the Gentiles; but when they came he withdrew and separated himself, fearing those of the circumcision party. 13 And with him the rest of the Judeans joined in the hypocrisy, so that even Barnabas was carried away by their hypocrisy. 14 But when I saw that they were not acting consistently with the truth of the good news, I said to Cephas before them all, if you, being a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you require the Gentiles to live like Judeans? 15 We ourselves, who are Judeans by nature and not Gentile sinners, 16 knowing that a man is not made right by works of the law but through [the] faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be may be made right by the faith of Christ, and not by works of the law, because by works of the law shall no flesh be made right. 17 But if while seeking to be made right by Christ, we ourselves were found to be sinners, is Christ therefore an agent of sin?  Never! 18 But if I build up again the things that I tore down, then I prove myself a transgressor. 19 For I through the law died to the law, that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified together with Christ, so I live no longer, but Christ lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself up for me. 21 I do not refuse the gift of God; for if being made right were by means of the law, then Christ died for no reason.

Separation of Paul and Barnabas

36 And after some days Paul said to Barnabas, let's go back now and check on the brothers in every city where we proclaimed the word of the Lord and see how they holding up. 37 And Barnabas wanted to take with them John called Mark. 38 But Paul thought best not to take with them one who had withdrawn from them in Pamphylia, and had not gone with them to the work. 39 And there arose a sharp contention, so that they separated from each other, and Barnabas took Mark with him and sailed away to Cyprus.

Paul's Second Missionary Journey (ca. 50-54 C.E.) with Silas and Timothy (16:1-18:22)

15:40 But Paul chose Silas and departed, being entrusted to the kindness of the Lord by the brothers. 41 And he went through Syria and Cilicia, strengthening the churches. 16:1 And he came also to Derbe and to Lystra. A disciple was there, named Timothy, the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer; but his father was a Greek. 2 He was well spoken of by the brethren at Lystra and Iconium. 3 Paul wanted Timothy to accompany him; and he took him and circumcised him because of the Judeans that were in those places, for they all knew that his father was a Greek. 4 As they went on their way through the cities, they delivered to them for observance the decisions which had been reached by the apostles and elders who were at Jerusalem. 5 So the churches were strengthened in the faith, and they increased in numbers daily . . .

18:18 After this Paul stayed many days longer, and then took leave of the brothers and sailed for Syria, and with him Priscilla and Aquila. At Cenchreae he cut his hair, for he had a vow. 19 And they came to Ephesus, and he left them there; but he himself went into the synagogue and argued with the Judeans. 20 When they asked him to stay for a longer period, he declined; 21 but on taking leave of them he said, "I will return to you if God wills," and he set sail from Ephesus.