Guidelines and Suggestions For Your Personal Mission Statement:

1. For those of you struggling with a finding a framework that will generate some thoughts about what is important to you, let me remind you of one helpful framework, and introduce you to another:

3. Within the body of your paper, make an effort to answer these four questions:

A. What is the core value you introduce?
B. Why is ________ a core value to you?
C. What is the source of that core value? (Scripture, book, quote, parents, lesson learned, etc. - any combination)
D. How does this core value impact how you will relate to others (i.e., co-workers, friends, coworkers, least among us).

Illustration:
Answering the WHAT: Define the values you introduce. For example, what do you mean when you say, I be a person of "excellence.@ Your definition of excellence may be different than another's. Excellence to me may mean doing my work to the best of my ability; excellence to you may mean to do your work without error. Similarly, re-evaluate some of the terms you use to describe your values. For example, does the word Ahappy@ capture what is important to you, or does the word Afulfillment@ capture it even better. Words have meaning and power, choose your language carefully.

Answering the WHY: If you determine that one of you core values is "Excellence in all things", then tell us why this is important to you. Is excellence important to you because excellence in your view is rewarded, or is it because it is a testimony to others, or because you feel it is important to be remembered for excellence.

Answering the SOURCE: Did you come to embrace excellence as a core value because a person modeled it? Because you read a book, quote or scripture that was especially meaningful to you? Because you remember a situation in which you were at your very best and it really felt good?

Answering the IMPACT: How will excellence impact your relationships and activities in life. Our values aren't just our own. What we value translates into actions, attitudes, and behaviors. How will this value impact how you will relate or be known to your co-workers@. While the impact of your core values may transcend all relationships, some relationships may be impacted by your "excellence" more than other relationships. I can see my value of excellence impacting my "co-workers", while "commitment" may have more of an impact on my family relationships.

4. Don't forget, this is a work in progress. Don't be surprised if you write about a quality or core value such as "hardworking" and then your realize it's really not hardworking that you value, but instead it's "smart working". Thus, revisions and re-working your thoughts should be expected.

5. Some of the most impressive personal mission statement papers weave a thread of quotes, scriptures, quips, etc. that seem to capture the essence of each core value.

6. Not a requirement, but where possible, make connections with some of the concepts discussed in Hosmer. You might find themes that sound similar to "justice", "universalism", "eternal law" or "liberty", among others. Sprinkle these into your paper where it seems to fit.

PAPER ORGANIZATION

7. Finally, please be sure that your personal mission statement paper is organized and flows. Use an introductory paragraph, use transition statements, summary statements, and a conclusion. Check your grammar and punctuation. The quality of your written presentation will be a significant portion of your grade on this assignment. Your final paper should include in order:

a. TITLE PAGE with your name, id#, course title and section

b. Personal Mission Statement/Credo/Core VALUES PAGE with a title (P.R.=s Core Values). The date should be listed underneath your title. This page summarizes your core values. Design this page as if you were going to frame it and hang it on your office wall.

c. A final OUTLINE that captures the precise organization of your paper.

d. A hard copy of YOUR PAPER - double spaced, typed, with a Aheader@ that includes your last name and page numbers.

e. Appended: Your ORIGINAL OUTLINE (if I required a mid-semester outline).

f. E-MAIL me a copy of your PMS with this line in subject line: FINAL PMS - Your Name, BE MWorTR